Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Kirk Cousins: Team Building

While we were in Michigan we had the opportunity to visit Michigan State University and get the "grand tour" along with talking with head coach Mark Dantonio about SportsLeader


Mike Pruchnicki, athletic director and assistant football coach at Flint Powers Catholic high school, played and coached at MSU a few years ago. He was kind enough to organize quite a few things for me and my 8 year old son during our visit.

Mike also had all of his coaches attend a training - he is one of the most inspiring AD's I've ever met and I'm proud to have him in our coaches association.

As a Dad I was ecstatic that my son was able to experience all these things but I also learned a ton.

When we were chatting with OT Jared McGaha he told us about some team building activities that his QB Kirk Cousins was taking upon himself to organize with all of the offensive linemen. Namely a "weight-lifting crawl" and the more popular "buffet crawl"

The lifting crawl consisted in visiting nearby gyms and getting a lift in at all of them.

The "Buffet Crawl", whose description was always accompanied with a large smile, will be a lineman's dream of visiting one buffet restaurant after another all in one evening. I pity the buffet owners (smile) ... these boys can eat.

Jared said that Kirk is always looking for new and different ways to have fun - the good way.

It was obvious that these young men are learning a lot about virtue by the way they treated my son: teaching him to block, throw a ball ... you could tell that they really wanted to help him.

We need more young men of virtue!

0 comments:

Post a Comment