Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Prophet Without Honor




And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
MATTHEW 13:57

This is an old verse for me, but it still rings true. A prophet can get respect in lots of places, but his own people really don't give a shit about him. It isn't just prophets. It is inventors, philosophers, leaders, rock stars, etc. You can be a hero to millions, but the people who claim to love you will regard you as a piece of shit.

This hit me as I was having breakfast with my girlfriend today. I was telling her about something that I care about when she told me to shut up. She wasn't interested. This is not the first time she has done this to me. But it has become the last.

It occurred to me that I was spending time with someone that really didn't give a fuck about me, my values, my beliefs, my dreams, or anything else about my life. I cared about all those things concerning her. But I don't now.

My family is no different. I have always felt their disdain for me my entire life, so I don't talk to them anymore. The best they can do is try and tear me down. This is what families do. The idea that you need people like this as your "support network" just isn't true. They don't support you. They just talk shit about you behind your back and think you are a worthless piece of shit. Who needs people like this?

I can admit that it helps to have people to keep you humble. But the world abounds with critics willing to perform this service. Their criticism may sting, but they actually do you a service if you care to listen. But the people who claim to love you are not interested in making you better. They want you to fail.

What is the reason for this? Why is the prophet without honor in his hometown and among his relatives? The answer is obvious. It is envy. We feel status consciousness relative to our peers, and being amongst the people that know us best breeds this contempt in the worst way. This is where we get the famous line,"Familiarity breeds contempt."

The worst aspect of this is when your significant other turns on you. They fake interest in you at the outset, but as time goes on, it becomes very apparent they have no real interest in you as a person. They might like that you pay for things. Maybe they get some status boost from being with you. But they don't really enjoy you or even care about you. I can say that every girlfriend I have ever had has done me this way. I can understand losing interest. But why keep dating me? I'd rather be dumped.

This aspect of life is not going to change. It is universal. That Bible verse comes from 2000 years ago, and it is quoting from a saying even older than that. But we recognize its truth. If you want honor, respect, and even love, you have to find it with strangers. The ones who claim to love you don't give a fuck about you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment