Monday, December 26, 2011

Q & A

Q: Should the government abolish marriage?

A:
No.

This question came to me as a comment on an earlier post, and I can say emphatically that government should play no role whatsoever in whether or not people marry. Government should neither encourage nor discourage the custom, and it definitely needs to get out of the marriage license business.

My personal view is that marriage is a farce, With the rampant divorce rate, high infidelity, and the misery that people experience being yoked to another person for life, I think getting married is incredibly stupid. Basically, you are making a lifelong commitment based on nothing more than hormonal urges that rarely last beyond seven years max.

As a libertarian, I don’t think my personal views should be forced on other people. If people choose to marry, it really is none of my business. I think marriage is dumb, but I think people should be free to be dumb.

0 comments:

Post a Comment