Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Best of Charlie's Blog--2011

I'm going to let this be the last post of the year. I'm on fumes right now which is why my posting has been sporadic. I'm happy with my year in blogging, and I hope to really knock it out of the park in 2012. Looking back, here are the 10 best posts of 2011 as decided by yours truly:

Triathlon is a Stupid Sport

This post was a surprise for me since I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. But a lot of triathletes went after it when somebody posted it on Twitter, and it continues to rake in the hate and the debate almost a year later. My opinions on the subject haven't changed a bit.

Why Running is the Perfect Sport (Almost)

This post was sort of the antithesis to the triathlon post. Where triathlon appeals to elitist pricks with disposable income, running is an egalitarian sport than anyone can do because it is virtually free. This post was not as popular as the tri-post since I managed to piss off virtually no one with it.

Anarchy and Minarchy

This post was written as an answer to all my anarchist friends on Facebook on why I am a minarchist. I link to it often in various discussions, and no one has bothered to rebut the argument.

The Myth of Superman

This post had to do with the unrealistic expectations we place on ourselves because of a myth of isolated superior achievement. The reality is that most child prodigies turn into nothing, and guys like Edison were not as unique as we imagine them to be. Consequently, we need to cut ourselves some slack because we haven't invented cold fusion yet.

How to Change the World

This post was inspired by Leonard Read's lesson about Nock's One Improved Unit. Basically, you change the world by changing yourself. Nothing inspires people more than a shining example of the way they ought to be and ought to think. You can check out that vid below:



How to Become a Minimalist--The Maximal Guide to A Simpler Life

A lot of people ask me about minimalism from Facebook or the blog, and I usually send them to a Leo Babauta site. But I thought it would be neat to write an exhaustive post about the subject in a maximalist style. It isn't really a complicated subject, and I find that it is a very appealing subject to a large group of people.

Minimalism and Choice

This was another post on the subject of minimalism. These two posts are sort of a preview of what is in the book I am writing called The M List. I am still working on that volume as I want it to be something more than just repackaged stuff from my blog. I'm very proud of what I have written so far, and I am going to put a lot of polish on that baby. The cornerstone of minimalism is the necessity of choice.

Leo Babauta and Others on Living Without Goals

This was my perspective on Babauta's "living without goals" meme and the debate it created. I followed it up with another post called Living Without Ambition that gave a more complete answer to the conundrum that Leo created with his exhortation to live without goals. Another post called Leo Babauta on the Self-Improvement Urge is also about the same subject.

How to Get Rid of a Moocher

A lot of people told me they appreciated this one because it helped them to get rid of some moochers in their own lives. I'm glad I could help.

Why Your Family is Fucked Up

I received a lot of good feedback on this one, and people found it helpful as well. Writing it helped clarify to me why I have always had issues with my own family, and also why I shouldn't feel bad or guilty for getting them out of my life.

That's it for 2011. I really had a good time with the C-blog this year, and I have enjoyed all of the feedback I have received this year in the comments and from people who send me email. I also want to give thanks to my two contributors--the artist Malnic and our resident conspiracy theorist, the Unknown Blogger. You have added variety to the C-blog. For anyone else wishing to contribute something to this space, feel free to shoot me an email.

As for 2012, I will continue blogging as always unless disaster strikes me down. I have more ambitious plans for 2012 than I did for 2011, so I think I will top myself in the new year. As always, thanks for reading. It is a real pleasure to have you as readers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment