Sunday, December 25, 2011

[SOC]

Christmas is winding down as I write this. I heard a Nat King Cole song on the radio, and I felt nostalgia for a time when I wasn't even alive. Someone will tell me this is evidence of a previous life. But I don't believe in reincarnation. When you die, you die.

I have been writing poems lately. I was thinking about how no one paints in the classical realistic style anymore except a few oddballs here and there who keep that classic style alive. Similarly, most people prefer rock music over Bach. Likewise, poetry done in classical meter and rhyme has virtually disappeared. There is no poetry except for rap and song lyrics or some navel gazing free verse garbage. So, I figured that I would bring it back because I can.

The subject matter of my poems will be contemporary, and I like the heroic couplets of guys like Alexander Pope. I am contemplating an epic poem or two as well. I have a lot on my plate as it is. But the projects interest me, and that is all the motivation I need to pursue them.

I want to do poems about cowboys, samurais, ninjas, sci fi, knights, demons, or whatever interests me. I think I would be a great lyricist for some gothic heavy metal band. I even want to do an epic poem about a gothic heavy metal band.

Looking back over the year in blogging, I have essentially doubled my creative output. I have indulged myself like no other year before, and I intend to go further in 2012. To be honest, I have fallen short of my own personal goals, but my failure in pursuit of those goals has yielded more than whatever modest goals achieved would have brought me. I am learning that it is OK to bite off more than you can chew. This is not exactly minimalist, but it is yielding great results as far as I can see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment