Monday, January 30, 2012

Sublimation



For the record, I think Sigmund Freud was a fucknut. My opinion of the entire psychiatric establishment is incredibly low, and Dr. Freud is definitely on my villains list. As a doctor and a mindfucker, he was truly a piece of shit. But as a philosopher, he had some interesting ideas. One of those ideas was the idea of sublimation.

Sublimation is where you take impulses that could be negative and turn them into a positive. For instance, a person prone to violence might redirect that energy into martial arts. A person prone to alcohol abuse might turn that into a love for running. It is a useful strategy because it keeps you from doing bad things and suffering negative consequences like going to jail.

Freud pointed out that sublimation worked very well on the impulse of libido. One can sublimate the desire to fuck by creating art instead. In Freud's day, indiscriminate fucking could get your ass in big trouble. Plus, doing cocaine on top of it doesn't help either. Freud had some issues. But the guy is correct. Not being in a single minded pursuit of ass frees you up to pursue other things such as inventing the quackery known as psychotherapy. It is said that Freud upon hitting middle age told his tender wife to finger her own pussy because he had work to do. He never hit that snatch again. That story is apocryphal, and I am taking some liberties in my telling of the tale. But it fits Freud's strategy of sublimation.

Sublimation is an experiment that I have been trying myself over the past year. I have taken steps to avoid finding myself in another relationship knowing that it is a fruitless pursuit that eats up resources. The result of the experiment so far is this. I have more money in the bank. My physical fitness has improved. I have been learning martial arts. I am writing more. My mood is better.

Let's face facts. Sex consumes a lot of our time, money, and energy. Freud knew this. Considering how it all ends up in a fruitless waste of those resources, doing without sex is a very productive thing. This explains the virtues of monastic existence in a nutshell. Being without a significant other and eschewing dating is liberating in many ways.

I see the emotion of love as being the worst aspect of sex. I consider love to be a kind of pollution along the lines of being drunk or high on coke. I am a straight edge guy, and I believe that a drug and alcohol free existence is the best strategy. Love is just another drug. Avoiding love is a good strategy, too. Why subject yourself to the emotional devastation?

Casual sex offers the pleasures of the flesh without the corresponding emotional fallout that comes with a relationship. It is merely enhanced masturbation with the possibility of acquiring an STD and/or eighteen years of child support obligation. Sex outside of a monogamous relationship is a risky affair in terms of the consequences to your health. So, there has sprung up the myth of celibate perversion to spur people to stay at the roulette table. If you aren't getting laid on a regular basis, you will go insane. I don't see any evidence for this. People incapable of sex like the physically handicapped do just fine. Is Stephen Hawking insane because he is confined to a wheelchair and can't plow some sweet ass like in his youth?

I think the idea that celibacy leads to mania is up there with the myth that masturbation leads to hairy palms and blindness. Granted, having regular access to a warm and shapely body is sweet, but it comes with such a heavy price that it becomes easier to let those desires go in favor of more fruitful endeavors. Even regular visits to a sex worker is better than being in a relationship.

I don't think the sex act is what eats up the resources so much as the relationship part. When your thoughts and activities are consumed with another person. It is difficult to get on with the other things like work. I can personally attest to the strain created from being attached to some nagging bitch. In time, the sex ends, and you just have the nagging.

I have seen positive results with this sublimation strategy, so I can tell you it works. The only downside is navigating the minefield of available opportunities that pop up at you. Women become more direct when they are ignored. You don't want to hurt their feelings especially when they are kinda hot. But you are trying not to start something you know you will regret finishing. It can be awkward.

I once shared a house with a guy back in the 90's who was a really good looking dude. He had no problem in the getting laid department. Women literally begged him to be his maintenance girl. The conventional wisdom was that he was gay or something. Wanting to settle the issue for myself, I snuck into his room and found a voluminous stack of Playboys and Penthouses he kept in a closet. Finally, I had a frank conversation with him about the fact that he didn't date. He told me that he didn't want the bother of it all. He had too much shit to do.

I had a great uncle who was the same way. He was in a thirteen year relationship with a chick that he dumped, so he could live alone until the day he died. She loved him from what I hear, but he was clearly tired of her shit. He had other things to do, and he did them.

Ralph Nader is also in this club. That guy has never married. When asked about marriage, Nader is reported to have said that he had to choose between a wife and a career because he couldn't have both. The guy lives on $25K a year, owns no car, is a millionaire, a workaholic, and what have you. My own lifestyle is becoming like this except I am keeping my car.

Women are anchors. This is a bonus if you are a drunk prone to self-destruction. It is a negative if you are a productive type of man wanting to do something other than being a worker drone for some worthless bitch. To do great things, you need all your resources and the freedom to deploy those resources. Women are merely shitheaded consumers of a man's energy and freedom. Freud and others argued that it is sublimation that has lead to the many great achievements in human history. This is debatable. The world might be a better place if Freud had kept fucking his wife. But what is not disputed is that sublimation helps you get more shit done. I already know that between ass and work that you are better off with work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment