Friday, August 26, 2011

PRINT-Liberty Defined By Ron Paul





Liberty Defined by Ron Paul is a libertarian manifesto of sorts as Dr. Paul gives his viewpoint on 50 issues. The work is very similar to Jeffrey Miron's Libertarianism from A to Z. Where Miron's work championed consequentialism, Ron Paul comes at his subjects from a more philosophical first principles approach. Many of the positions Ron Paul advocates are not that different from Miron. But on key issues like abortion or immigration, Ron Paul is his own man.



I am pro-choice on the issue of abortion, so I figured the abortion chapter would be a place where Ron Paul and I would disagree because he is a Christian while I am an atheist. But Paul discusses the subject from his background as an ob/gyn doctor, and I have to say that I was moved. Abortion is not simply a matter of life vs. choice. Since reading that chapter, I have given a lot of thought to the subject. I will revisit it in a later post.



Ron Paul's other main issue I have disagreement with is on the issue of immigration. Ron Paul is a closed borders sort of guy while I am an open borders guy. Unlike abortion, Paul did not sway me in the least.



Overall, I would recommend this book for anyone wanting get an idea of what Ron Paul stands for and another libertarian perspective on various issues. Both Miron and Paul have inspired me to write my own A to Z manifesto which I will publish here on the C-blog with links. This will be found in the Politics and Public Policy Positions page in the sidebar. This project will give me a new blogging To Do list that I can work myself through.

0 comments:

Post a Comment