Sunday, February 17, 2008

Nice Guys Don't Finish Last

This is more on the magnanimity subject. People say that nice guys finish last, but this is not really true. Weak guys finish last, and mean guys finish last. Not nice guys.

To use Aristotle's framework of the mean, being weak is being deficient in strength. In other words, don't be a doormat. Don't let other people use you and walk all over you.

In terms of excess, being mean or pusillanimous is the excess. It is going out of bounds and returning bad thing for bad thing. It is sinking to their level.

Magnanimity is the mean. Be nice, but don't be stupid. Recently, I had a chance to put this into practice, and I am very pleased with the results. It is a better way for me, and I am on my way to turning it into a habit. I realize that nice guys don't finish last.

I am sad about other things which I will refrain from sharing here because to do so would be pretty mean. I am sad about the outcome, but I am very happy about doing the right thing. I can live without regret, and that is an awesome thing for me. With magnanimity comes pride. I don't hate myself anymore. Overall, this has to rank as one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment