Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Intense Single Tasking

Multitasking is out. Turns out this badge of honor from the ’90s is more fiction than fact. Our brains don’t multitask, they just rapidly switch between tasks, sometimes fast enough for us to believe we’re doing many things at once. Problem is, every time we switch, there is a “ramping cost” in your brain, it takes anywhere from a few second to 15 minutes for your brain to fully re-engage. This makes you feel insanely busy, but simultaneously craters productivity, creativity and increases feelings of anxiety and stress.

Multitasking also requires you to hold a lot of information in your working memory, which is controlled by a part of the brain known as the prefrontal cortex (PFC). But the PFC is also responsible for will-power, and for keeping fear and anxiety in check. Multitasking increases the “cognitive load” on the PFC, overwhelming it and effectively killing it’s ability to keep fear, anxiety and the taunt of distraction at bay.

Simple solution–just say no. Do one thing at a time in intense, short bursts.


JONATHAN FIELDS

I don't believe in multitasking. It doesn't work. I have a friend at work who disagrees with me. He says he has no choice. But I use my method, and it works. He uses his method and fucks shit up. His reputation is that of a fuck up. It isn't because he is stupid or incompetent. He simply multitasks and fails.

I do what I call IST or intense single tasking. The goal of multitasking is to get things done faster. In practice, this doesn't happen. You can point this out to people, cite research on the subject, and explain why it doesn't work. This will not deter them. This is because they see no alternative. IST is the alternative.

What I do is simple. I focus intensely on single tasks and do them as quickly as possible until completion. Things that are automatic I leave to themselves like a microwave meal. It is amazingly effective as I rip through tasks. Unlike multitasking, I feel the rush as I run out of things to do.

When I multitask, the opposite happens. I shift from one thing to another and back again. I'm here. I'm there. One or two of the tasks I am juggling crashes to the earth. I become frustrated. The irony is that I am better than many others at doing it. But I am not better than when I single task.

It takes discipline to do IST. It goes against your instincts. It requires that you outright ignore some things and even some people. But when you start doing it, those people may be mad but only for a short period. This is because you can please everyone. You just can't please everyone at the same time.

At the computer, it is the same thing. Close that Facebook window. You only get two windows open at one time. This assumes you clinked a link in the first window. Read or deal with whatever is in the second window. Then, return to the first window. You will find that you read more stuff.

The car is where I fail. I eat in the car, and I used to talk on the cellphone behind the wheel while eating and listening to music. The result was bad driving, bad eating, and a person on the other end of the line wondering what I was saying between bites of food and Bachman Turner Overdrive. Basically, you get to do two things in the vehicle. You get to drive, and you get to listen to the radio. A cup of coffee is permitted. No phone calls. Hang up and drive. If someone calls, you have two choices. Finish your drive, or pull over and call them back. The best thing I find to do is call them back as soon as the drive ends. Park the car in your spot and return all calls unless nature is calling. Keep the calls short and sweet. Explain to them that you were driving, and you have finished driving. I haven't had one person tell me that I was a dick for this. I have heard people frustrated with the multitasking approach. Plus, calls are most often dropped while in a moving vehicle.

Multitasking is the illusion that you can increase time and productivity through layering. You can't. You are finite. Time and productivity are increased through focus and speed not layering. Intense single tasking decreases stress and makes people happier. You get more done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment