Friday, September 30, 2011

How We Roll in Greater Boston

JP Twins and His Raleigh Marathon, Lexington MA
It amazes and delights me to see so many people on beautiful, functional and unique bicycles in the Boston area - from refurbished vintage finds to locally built custom frames. A mere two years ago this was far from a common sight, but today I might be stopped on the street and asked things like "Hey, are those Porteur bars?" by a complete stranger. People recognise me on occasion as well, as do I them - which is always funny. "You're Lovely Bicycle!" "And you're the girl who parks her ANT in Harvard Square!" After that we don't know what else to say, but we are both ridiculously happy. Yesterday I had another such encounter, and this time I had my camera out.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
On my way home from Lexington I had taken a detour to photograph my mixte in a field at sunset, when out of the corner of my eye I saw the glow of a dynamo-powered headlight. As it moved toward me - gliding across the grass in the fading evening light - I could make out shellacked bartape and a rider clad in what was almost certainly a vintage wool jersey, astride a gigantic lugged steel bicycle.

JP Twins and His Raleigh Marathon, Lexington MA
Turns out it was JP Twins - whom I had never met before, but have known for some time as a reader of this blog. And that with him is an enormous Raleigh Marathon (what is that, a 65cm frame?..), which he has transformed into an all-weather long distance commuter, Boston style.  Behold:

Modified Raleigh Marathon
A vintage frame with character.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
Nitto Noodles, Cane Creek levers, shellacked cloth tape, brass bell.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
Single speed conversion.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
Two chainring sizes, just in case.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
Dynamo lighting with the wiring neatly zip-tied to the fork.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
And of course, full fenders, rear rack and a set of panniers.

Modified Raleigh Marathon
30 mile commute? No problem. This is how we roll in greater Boston. What about your town?

0 comments:

Post a Comment