Monday, December 27, 2010

[SOC]

Maximalism is the belief that you can do it all. I realize that you can't. You have to choose, and people find it painful to choose. Choice involves sacrifice. But a cluttered life is also sacrifice. Either way, something is going to fall out. The difference is whether you make the choice, or the choice gets made for you.

Minimalism is the acceptance of those choices. It is making peace with the sacrifices that you have made. It is deciding that less is better because more is impossible.

Cramming your life is fun. It is easy to cram a life. It is hard to edit a life. I am struggling with that editing. It becomes difficult to say no. The result is that my life has started to accumulate clutter and neglect. I am not doing what matters. I am simply doing. Often, I am just struggling to get by as I try to keep the disaster going.

Simplify.

0 comments:

Post a Comment