Thursday, December 30, 2010

Labels

This is my last post for 2010. At this time of year, other media outlets like to recap the year with some list or whatnot. This is filler made months ago because these guys were going to be on vacation. But I'm writing this today.

My recap for the year are the labels I wear. Everyone has labels. Some they choose to wear. Others they choose to hide. These are the ones I choose to wear.

LOSER

This is top of the list for me. I am a loser. Of course, that is relative. I am better off than a homeless drunk. But I am not rich or famous which is what makes a person a winner. In between those extremes of homelessness and extravagance, you have everyone else jockeying for some spot in the social pile. It is this status seeking that I don't give a shit about. So, I choose to call myself a loser, and it has a magical effect. It frees me up to be me, and it actually pisses all over the status game. I have ambitions, but they are all purely personal. I don't care if I have a nicer car than you, and I really don't care if you have a nicer car than me. I am a loser. I don't have to care.

ATHEIST

I am known for this more than anything else. The irony is that it is the one I care least about. I don't believe in God. I used to believe in God. I believed so much that I even enrolled in seminary. Then, I realized I was an idiot. It was all bullshit. It took awhile for me to figure it out. Looking back, I can't believe how stupid I was. But it taught me humility and to always question things especially authority. That brings me to the next label.

LIBERTARIAN

I believe in freedom. I think government is best that governs least. I don't think freedom is perfect, but it is superior to the alternatives. I believe in social freedom and economic freedom. I think as long as you don't hurt other people you should be free to do as you will. I also think you are entitled to the money you earn and the property you buy.

BLUE COLLAR

I have a college degree, and I know I can bullshit my way into an office job. But the bulk of my working life has been spent doing dirty work. "Blue collar" is a label a lot of people want to escape. It is now one I embrace. Like the loser thing, I find freedom in accepting the humble path instead of the arrogant path. Blue collar work is honest, and I feel good about it. There is no bullshit there. Fuck the status. Fuck the office politics. Just go out and work.

MINIMALIST

I have always lived a simple lifestyle. I'm not big on owning a bunch of stuff or collecting clutter or keeping up with the Joneses. I have one car and live in an apartment. I'd like to trade it in for one small pickup truck and one small house. Otherwise, I'm living the life I have always lived and always will live. I shop at thrift stores. I pack a lunch. I don't own an RV or an ATV. The most extravagant thing I buy is Carhartt apparel because I know it lasts a long time.

WRITER

Finally, I write. I don't paint, play guitar, or golf. I write. All I need is my notebook and a pencil. I have this blog. It doesn't seem like much, but there is an infinite world in that pencil and paper. If I ever shake up the world, it will be with my words. But if I don't, it is great fun anyway. I have never made a cent from my writing, but it has enriched me more than any hobby I have ever had. Reading is the next best thing.

Those are my labels. I could add a few others like "asshole." But I will leave that to my haters. As for 2011, I might add a few new labels like "workaholic" and "runner." This might be possible now that I'm back to being a "bachelor." We will see. But "failure" is the most probable outcome.

Good bye, 2010.

0 comments:

Post a Comment