Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Coach's Humility

Below is simply put one of the most humble emails I've ever received from a coach. I asked Mark if I could share this ...

Inspiring way to look at life. God is in control. Let's trust Him more this Christmas.
...

Lou,

I officially got the axe at our board meeting Monday night.  A newspaper article ran yesterday and had my picture with all of my horrible stats as a head coach.  Very tough blow to the pride.  Since the article ran yesterday I have had an outpouring of support through email and texts from community members, parents, and former players.  It has been encouraging to hear the affirmation that young men's lives have been changed as a result of me being their coach.  Exciting and humbling.  I also had an opportunity to address the team yesterday and show them one last time how to handle adversity.

In the last two weeks I have had two meetings with administrators that I knew were going to be tough and then the meeting with the team.  I have a daily devotional that starts off with a verse.  

My first meeting was to discuss my evaluation from the season and the verse that day was:

Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

The next meeting was with the superintendent and I knew he was going to tell me I was done.  The verse that day was:

Hebrews 13:5 – I will never leave you or forsake you.  

When I was meeting with the team my verse was:

Titus 2:6-8 -  Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.

It is awesome when you know God is speaking to you through His word!  I know God has my back and I have run a football program that He can be proud of.  I appreciate the tools your program eqiupped me with and I will continue to use SportsLeader to teach that "virtue = strength" wherever I end up next!

Thanks Lou!

Mark

0 comments:

Post a Comment