Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Q & A

Q: Are you a racist?

A: I define a racist as someone who believes in the superiority of one race over all the others. By this definition, I am not a racist because empirical data shows that Asians are really great at math, Jews are really good with money, and Africans are very good at athletics. Of course, pointing these things out will get you slapped with the racist tag immediately which really makes no sense.

When people use the term "racist," they really mean bigotry. There is a difference--a huge difference. Bigotry is merely having stereotypical views of other races. On this basis, everyone on the planet is a bigot. If you equate tacos with Mexicans, you are a bigot.

Bigotry gets slammed when the stereotypes are mean and hurtful such as assuming that all blacks want to drink malt liquor and rape white women or that Jewish people are out to fuck you over. I know how that feels like since as a Southerner I am slammed as some beer swilling illiterate redneck usually by some obnoxious Yankee. But I find the answer to such things is to be true to who you are and not sweat it. If you like to eat fried chicken and watermelon, is this really a bad thing? I know I enjoy those things, too, along with pork rinds and grits.

People are too easily offended, and they need to get over this. Learn self-deprecation like I do. And defy those negative stereotypes. I defy the stereotypes of Southerners by reading extensively and knowing more than the average Yankee. Success is proving your critics wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment