Monday, November 29, 2010

SOC

I have no clue where to begin today. Spontaneous writing sucks when you don't have anything to write about. I actually do have things to write about, but they are already on my list.

I recommend Skype for the home. I talk to my brother on it on a regular basis. It is free, and I don't have to worry about running out the charge on my cellphone.

I'm reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. It is the last book in the trilogy, and there won't be anymore though a rumored fourth volume exists. Larsson is dead. I find it ironic that his work has gained such fame and acclaim (and money) after the man's death. The appeal of the books comes down to main character Lisbeth Salander who people admire for her intelligence, her moral code in spite of it all, and her desire to be left the fuck alone. She also kicks ass. (I will write reviews of these books.)

This SOC is not flowing like the ones in the past. Choppy and disjointed.

In fiction writing news, I am going to do some first person shit. One is a rewrite of a promising but ultimately failed story I did twenty years ago called "The Angel of Death Comes to the Candy Kitchen." That will be on the Charles Noir blog. The other is a tale called "Confessions of a Serial Ass Beater." It is a story told by a guy who beats the living shit out of people who deserve it.

I often debate whether I should vary my style like that. My current style is something I call "movie style." Everything is written in the present tense and the third person. There is only dialogue and action. People who read these stories say it is like having a movie in their head.

So far, all the fiction I have ever written rates as "dogshit." This is understandable since 99% of fiction is shit anyway. I know Aristotle's Poetics, but in the end, I think people just want to be entertained. I don't know what is good when it comes to writing fiction. I know Cormac McCarthy is good. That man is insanely good. I think I would like to write on that level. But I don't know how.

That is a project I would like to return to. I'd like to be a great novelist writing important works. I just don't know how to do that. It is something I will have to ponder and consider.

0 comments:

Post a Comment