Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Q & A

Q: Why do you waste your time learning martial arts?

A:
I got this question tossed at me from a co-worker who thought my kung fu lessons were senseless in the age of guns. It reminded me of the scene in Star Wars where Luke is learning Jedi lightsaber stuff from Obi Wan, and Han Solo tells him all he needs is a good blaster by his side. Basically, in a duel between a sword wielding samurai and a gun wielding cowboy, the cowboy wins.

There is truth to this observation which is why I own a Glock. I am a big believer in the Second Amendment, and I support concealed carry and all that. Guns are a great equalizer. Even an elderly woman with arthritis can be very dangerous with a loaded pistol. I heartily recommend that everyone buy a weapon and go to a local gun range to practice.

In terms of self-defense, you have an array of options that don't include lethal means. Pepper spray and tasers are also good, and I recommend them. Moderately lethal weapons such as a knife and a baseball bat or baton are also recommended. I definitely believe in weapons.

The problem with weapons is that the government does not like them and prohibits them as much as possible exposing you to criminals and aggressors. The government doesn't care about this since it is also an aggressor and a criminal outfit. Your safety and protection are less important than the government's ability to police and control you. The result of these policies is that there are large areas of public life where the only weapons you have will be your own two hands and feet and whatever is lying around. It is in these situations that martial arts become indispensable.

Here's a scenario drawn from real life. Terrorists have boarded a plane and hijacked it with box cutter knives. Thanks to the government, neither the pilots, flight attendants, nor passengers have anything including a nail file to counteract this threat. Yet, a rolled up magazine and some martial arts training are all you need to change that equation.

Another scenario is where non-lethal force is unwarranted. For instance, you are walking to your car and some drunk asshole comes out of nowhere and wails on you. Pulling out a Ruger and blowing his fucking brains out will get you prison. A well-placed upper cut will simply knock him the fuck out, and you can just carry on with your business. That guy won't even remember what happened to him.

I believe in living at peace with all people. This is why I adhere to non-aggression, mind my own business, and try not to provoke situations but calm them down. I'm also not above leaving a situation or even running away. But in the end, it behooves everyone to be as dangerous as they can possibly be. Peace rests on the firm foundation of strength. Aggression needs weakness to triumph.

I have a friend who teaches me martial arts, and he is the nicest guy in the world. From his demeanor, you would conclude that he wouldn't harm a fly. Yet, he is the most dangerous person I know. Peace and strength are a syzygy that are mutually connected. His calmness and generosity flow directly from the martial arts. I find that most anger comes from a feeling of powerlessness. The martial arts eliminate that feeling. Doing the work and discipline trains your body, but it also trains you internally as well.

Peace is the goal. At the beginning of this year, I made it a resolution to find peace, and I have discovered it in the martial arts. This may seem ironic to find peace in learning how to fight. But it is the same as finding freedom through discipline. By learning scales, the pianist experiences the freedom of effortless expression. By learning how to fight, the martial artist can afford to be at peace with others and himself. This is because nothing can hurt him.

Most conflict comes from people bluffing to hide their weakness. Animals do this. If you have ever seen a cat puff up when ready to fight, you realize that behavior is meant to make him look bigger and more threatening. Similarly, it is the smallest dog that has the loudest bark and is most prone to bite you. With people, this endless need to bluff and threaten is what produces conflict. Weak people do this. This is why they do petty things, threaten, intimidate, or whatnot. It is all bullshit.

I am learning more in this area, and my mind is changing on a lot of things. I am certain to write more on this subject as I learn more. I just know that martial arts as well as reading up on Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and other eastern perspectives has expanded my mind considerably. The real question is this. Is it worth it? I can say without reservation that it is definitely worth it and not a waste of your time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment