Saturday, February 20, 2010

Random Thoughts on Various Subjects

1. JOE STACK

The IRS drives a man to arson, aerial assault, and suicide. I don't recommend doing any of these things, but I find it amusing that people are calling this man crazy. The more I learn about him the more normal he seems. Aside from his latest and last actions, Joe Stack indicated nothing in the way of anger or political motivations. Reading his suicide note, I couldn't help noticing how uneducated he was on economics and politics. It sounded like something on par with Lou Dobbs than with libertarians or the Tea Party crowd. But Stack was angry at the IRS, and he enacted revenge.

Is violence the answer? I don't think so. Witnessing a lifetime of IRA, PLO, and al Qaeda activities mixed in with the homegrown stuff of Timothy McVeigh, I am at a loss to find a single incident where violent actions have led to any lasting positive social or political change. OTOH, Gandhi and MLK pulled off huge historical upsets with pacifism. Joe Stack concluded that violence was the answer, but I think his actions amount to a tragic waste. He would have done better by becoming politically involved and maybe starting a blog. Joe Stack may have been angry, but he was not alone. The sad thing is that by resorting to violence he makes everyone who opposes tyranny look like a crackpot.

2. TIGER'S MEA CULPA

Everyone talks about Tiger's "sincerity." Give me a frigging break. First of all, I would have told all those assembled reporters to kiss my ass. It's my life, and I don't have to answer to anybody. Second, I wouldn't waste my time in "therapy" for "sex addiction." There is no such thing as sex addiction. It is biology. Third, I would have apologized to fans for missing golf tournaments. I've been through a lot of shit in my life, but I don't let my personal issues interfere with work. The job always comes first. Tiger should shut up and play golf.

The best thing Tiger can do is work out a settlement with Elin and bust up with her. Then, he should play golf and fuck because these are clearly the things he enjoys most. His mistake was in getting married and snowing the public into thinking he was devoted family man. The reality is that he is a typical male who can drive a golf ball and bust a nut.

3. WINTER OLYMPICS

Congrats to Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn for winning gold. What would be really sweet is a gold in hockey.

4. DEATHS

Alexander Haig died. He was "president" for a couple of hours when Reagan caught a bullet then spent the rest of his life regretting it.

Fashion designer Alexander McQueen dead from suicide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment