Saturday, February 27, 2010

Random Thoughts on Various Subjects

1. AC TRANSIT BUS FIGHT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwJ7jdacrY

This is a viral video that has become immensely popular because some gnarly old white dude beats the shit out of a black guy. The reason for its popularity is obvious. People enjoy seeing a black guy getting the shit beat out of him by a gnarly old white dude. Naturally, this has brought with it a lot of commentary and analysis from various quarters on race, politics, and "old man strength." I don't think a fight has been so popular or so much discussed since Ali-Frazier. As for me, I just found it entertaining especially the part where the peanut gallery urges the black guy to "kick his white ass." Talk about irony.

2. KILLER WHALES

A killer whale kills a trainer at SeaWorld. So far, nothing similar has happened at Gatorland. Personally, I think playing with dangerous animals is really stupid.

3. RON PAUL AND CPAC

Ron Paul won the straw poll at CPAC, and I think he will run again for president. Can he win the nomination? I doubt it. OTOH, what are our alternatives? Palin? Give her a talk show already. Romney? He should endorse some hair care products. Then, there is Gary Johnson who I really like. He is a guy who I think could forge an alliance between libertarians and conservatives. He doesn't carry the baggage Paul would have, and he has executive experience being the former governor of New Mexico. Will have to wait and see on this one.

4. SANFORD DIVORCE

Mark and Jenny are split. Does anyone give a shit? I'd respect Jenny Sanford a lot more if she hadn't ran off and wrote a book about the whole thing. That was the act of a media whore. The question remains. Will Sanford make any more trips to Argentina now that he is a free man?

5. GOVERNOR'S RACE

It is a a given that no Democrat will be governor. Vincent Sheheen is wasting his time. Unfortunately, I suspect Nikki Haley may be wasting her time, too. This is because the dipshits of SC will vote for either McMaster or Bauer, two worthless motherfuckers I utterly despise. All I can say is that anyone who doesn't cast a vote for Nikki Haley is an idiot.

6. BLOOM BOX

I watched the 60 Minutes piece on what could be a revolution in energy. I am cautiously optimistic about what this fuel cell could mean for the country. If this is the real thing, I see it in electric cars, and natural gas would be the way to go. Meanwhile, Washington explores clean coal because that is what the lobbyists paid them to do. This is why our energy future is with the capitalists not the politicians.

7. AL GORE IS MISSING

ClimateGate roars on as the nation is buried in snow. Where is Al Gore? Where is our Messiah of Climate Salvation when we need him?

I remember not too long ago people were lumping me and my ilk in with Holocaust deniers and flat earthers because we did not share Al Gore's hysteria over global warming. Now, as those dire predictions are looking more ridiculous by the day, where is this Nobel Peace Prize Winner? Why won't he answer questions? WHY IS HE HIDING?

I am saddened that Michael Crichton did not live long enough to see himself vindicated. Crichton was right.

8. THE HIGHER ED BUBBLE

I am convinced now more than ever that a bubble in higher education exists and will pop in a big way over the next decade. Despite what politicians may claim, we have no shortage of educated workers or education. The problem is all that student loan debt that can't be repaid with tips from Starbucks.

9. DEATHS

Andrew Koening, an actor on Growing Pains, kills himself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment