Saturday, October 30, 2010

Random Thoughts on Various Subjects

1. GENE SIMMONS AND IP

Simmons made it to my heroes list a couple of years ago for his brashness and individuality. But his recent remarks concerning intellectual property make me want to rescind that honor. Here is what Gene had to say:

Make sure your brand is protected. Make sure there are no incursions. Be litigious. Sue everybody. Take their homes, their cars.

***

The music industry was asleep at the wheel and didn't have the balls to sue every fresh-faced, freckle-faced college kid who downloaded material. And so now we're left with hundreds of thousands of people without jobs. There's no industry.



It is understandable why Gene feels this way. The bulk of his fortune comes from branded merchandise. He used to make a lot from recorded music, but that has fallen off a cliff. So, Gene has had to get off his lazy ass and start touring again. People aren't without jobs. Gene just has to earn money from performing instead of daydreaming from behind a desk.

I don't believe in intellectual property. I want people to copy what I make because that means more people will read me and learn of my ideas. Besides, my ideas are heavily influenced by the ideas of others, and there is nothing new under the sun in that regard. Information wants to be free. Gene needs to learn this.

2. TEA PARTY TUESDAY

I see a massive change come Tuesday as the GOP takes back the House and maybe the Senate. This should result in at least two years of sweet gridlock as the GOP thwarts Obama and tries to bring him down. Then, 2012 will give us Palin or some other GOP shithead as President. Then, things will go to shit like it was under Bush. But it will be a good two years until then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment