Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WKC Classics LCCJ 27/3

I was away at the WKC's (World Kettlebell Club) long cycle competition in New York this weekend. I just had to go to a competition. Since Ventspils in August there has been some good opportunities, but I was always hindered from going. I just felt I had to compete or risk losing motivation and getting sloppy with working the details (a few "no-counts" are great cure for that :-).
Setting up

The WKC classic comp was a great event that took place at the Reebok Gym in Manhattan.
Someone said that there was 50 competitors and ca 100 spectators. In addition, there were lots of cheap and/or economic people looked at us through the windows into the basketball court where the event was held. My namesake Alexander - who works at the gym - had made a great job getting GS into the Reebok. I mean, he did not carry the bells and all that, that was done by WKC members working hard during the preceeding night.

It was nice to see familiar faces from Ventspils... Cate, Maya, Lopa..., as well as some I know from the net, like Boris. And N.N. and so-and-so (ah, I'm terrible with names, though I will remember looks and conversations for years). And, some new people, like the Ohio Michaels.

Warming up behind the stage

In these ages of individualism, I start with myself. I competed in classic lc (two bells) and lifted in the -85kg category with 24kg bells. Ladies competed in one arm lc/ one switch.

There was also oa lc free hand switches during 20 minutes (open for both genders). But I would have died if I did that as well.

I did 40 reps (plus some well deserved no-counts). Did 10 minutes - might be the first 10min ever in lc with 24s for me.

I had two main goals: (1) participate in an official lccj-comp, and (2) reach 45 reps (rank 3 in Russian table is 44).

First ambition went down fine. Actually, that was the most important one.
Second goal did not work out. But seriously, I am happy nonetheless. I have never done 45 reps in training and it might have been a bit unrealistic to count on doing that with new bells and jet-lagged.

Lifting
I have dim memories of the lifting. Might be nervousness, or that there was so much impressions during that day... people, places, and conversations. One strange thing was that I felt weak in lower back in lockouts - never an issue with 24kgs normally. I think the WKC bells have a slightly thinner handle than my ´kettlebellathletics´(the Ventspils -09 bell) and that my grip did not get as tired as usual. I'm not positive though.
The WKC bells behaved different in clean, like they turned over quicker. Also, felt like they were higher up in rack - if that is possible. Not in a bad way though, I liked the WKC-spheres a lot.

Next to me, Canadian athlete Boris (LINK), was lifting. I tried to hook up on his tempo. I think it worked up to rep 27, or so. Then, he sprinted ahead. Naw... I lagged behind. I remember thinking something about being too old for this stuff :-).

My judge was no less that Catherine Imes, which felt like an honour.

Will report more from this - and the complete results when they come.

Valery Federenko, left.
Now, I will have a long break from any systematic lc-training and focus on biathlon and especially snatch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment