Monday, April 16, 2007

Samsung 500

I was pleased that someone other than Jimmie Johnson won at Texas. It was a good race with a clean finish as Jeff Burton passed Matt Kenseth to take the checkered flag.

On an interesting sidenote, Dale Jr. drove Kyle Busch's #5 car for the last few laps. I have to wonder what happened to Kyle Busch who seems a bit like a brat. (He is on my shit list because of this.)

In other NASCAR news, I have to wonder about Michael Waltrip. I've always liked Mikey and rooted for him. I haven't changed my mind about him, but he is having the year from hell. All this shit goes back to his leaving DEI. As a car owner, he has had trouble trying to put it all together. He got busted for cheating and failed to qualify for two races. Not good. Then, he wrecked his car (personal car) and got cited for leaving the scene of the accident. He says he fell asleep at the wheel, and I believe him.

Waltrip is falling apart. I suspect he has given up running as he seems a bit fatter than he was from a season or two ago. He looks ragged, and I think he is working himself into oblivion. He is riding in a suck ass car that he owns, and I doubt he could drive worth a shit now anyway even if he had a great car. I hate to see this happen to the guy. Waltrip could have easily driven for another team, but he really put a lot on himself as both driver, owner, and bringing out the Toyotas for their first Cup season. Then, there's the Car of Tomorrow. I don't see how the guy sleeps.

Speaking of the COT, I think it sucks. NASCAR says that they wanted to build a safer car, but I think the car is actually unsafer because it is undrivable. That was probably NASCAR's secret. Make the drivers slower by giving them a car that has to be driven slowly. Instead, they've become frustrated at a car that will not perform.

I'm all for making NASCAR safer, but this is racing, folks. You accept a certain amount of risk climbing into those cars. If you want safe, go race some go-carts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment