Friday, June 25, 2010

Snatch & Glad Midsommar!

Snatch 24kg: 5/5, 40/40, 3/3

Swing outside legs 2x24: 3x 10 (one set was attempt Martin style)

(tried snatches 2x24kg but it was not their day)

Snatch 16kg (with cotton glove): 10 minutes

Long rest
Oa jerk 32kg:10/10/5/5

2hand swing 32kg: 5x 20 reps (valsalva breathing)


Nice I could do 40/40 again in snatch. Now, I've done it twice, a third time and I dare to say I can snatch 40/40 :-).

Brief snatch analysis:

1) When I get tired, I tend to shorten back swing and tame the arc (it becomes more dead snatch like). This is probably as I don't want to drop the bell. I was outdoors today, that helps.

2) As grip gets tired, I don't dare to pull the bell as quick/forcefully (cf. point 1) from the bottom position. The bell does not ascend as high, and I don't get it to land as well in the palm in lockout. When that starts, grip endurance quickly deteriorates.

Ok, what to do with this? Stop getting tired...? Not very good strategy :-). I see this particular issue as mainly a conditioning question - grip endurance, more specifically. Technically, an awareness of not taming the arc prematurely can be helpful. Still, predominantly, I tame the arc with a good reason: grip is giving out.

Btw, to dead snatch is ok if it is an voluntary strategy to squeese out some last reps, through changing the bell trajectory. I am not there with the 24kg yet though.

Glad midsommar allihop!

Added:
Talking about snatches and getting the max out, Mike Sharkey came to think of this video. I think it is Johnny Bendize: the hottest snatcher around today:

Note how he uses a small dip, also when he is quite fresh. He drops the bell quite low, probably to avoid a grip-tiring jerk and dampen the bell's descent. Snatching at it's best.

0 comments:

Post a Comment