Monday, June 21, 2010

One More Thing....

Sitting in the soccer stadiums of the World Cup when South Africa was playing, I was fascinated by the seeming spontaneity of the crowd singing an African hymn that was at once beautiful and spine chilling. It was about the only time the vuvuzelas fell silent, and it was an emotional experience to see tens of thousands South Africans -- black and white -- singing in unison and waving their vuvus to the rhythm of the chant-like beat. I was so moved by the haunting number that I asked the South African woman sitting next to me what it was called. She said "It's called Shosholoza, and we sing it at major sporting events like this." Subsequently, I learned that it means "go forward" and is a signature piece in Clint Eastwood's Invictus, by the a capella group, Overtone. You can listen to it here-->

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ivbm_ykTRE&feature=related

0 comments:

Post a Comment