Friday, June 18, 2010

Post Script

I must say that I was impressed by how the students immersed themselves in the total experiences that this program offered, and I was proud of how they conducted themselves as global citizens and goodwill ambassadors for the USA. Perhaps for some of them, this was a transformational experience that will spur them to a different calling than they previously mapped out for themselves (possibly in an international environment). But I think for all of them, it was also an eye-opening -- and hopefully empowering -- experience that made them realize that they can make a difference in other peoples' lives, as they did with the children of Soweto or by the simple act of giving someone a friendship flag pin. For me, this is one of the enduring benefits and highlights of these seminars abroad. I would like to thank my traveling partner and faculty chaperone, Dr. Dan Covell, who conducted the spring course and summer seminar, and who kept everyone in line and on schedule. Finally, I would like to express my appreciation to the students' parents for their support of their children in making this trip a reality, and for their trust and confidence in Western New England College in allowing me to take them to a country beset by some pretty serious problems and challenges. If the students' testimonials are any indication, I think I can safely declare 'Seminar Abroad 2010: FIFA World Cup/South Africa' a complete success, and start counting the days until 'Seminar Abroad 2012: London Olympic Games.'

0 comments:

Post a Comment