Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Minimalism is the End of Self Improvement

Self improvement is masturbation.
TYLER DURDEN

Everyone wants to improve themselves. They want to quit some bad habit. They want to develop some good habits. They went to organize and get out of debt and be more productive and get in shape. The result is frustration. There is a lot of self but not much improvement.

The answer to this frustration is to do less. I will elaborate.

-The answer to your money problems is to spend less and own fewer things.

-The answer to your weight problems is to eat less and better things.

-The answer to productivity is to eliminate the To Do list and do only the essential things.

-The answer to clutter is to own fewer things.

-The answer to fitness is to learn to live without constant distraction.

This does not mean that this path is easy, but it is effective. You can buy a dayplanner and color code your tasks and whatnot. But it won't get more stuff done. There are only so many hours in a day. You can buy all sorts of fitness gadgets, but people can't deal with the boredom of 10 minutes of push ups or sit ups which require no equipment at all. The more complex the solution is the less likely it will be to work.

The best way to go is to make a list of improvements and make it as simple and short as possible. Then, begin with a single change. Once you have made that change, begin with the next change. Take it slow but steady. For me, I only have four changes:

-Eat healthy.

-Run.

-Simplify all my affairs.

-Work 7 days a week.

That's it. My life is not perfect, but I notice that I have fewer problems than other people merely from the fact that my life is simple. I'm not into drugs or alcohol. I don't smoke. I don't own a lot of things which I used to see as a liability but now recognize as an asset. I don't allow people in my life that cause a bunch of drama.

There has to come a point in life when there is nothing left to improve. Being on a perpetual self-improvement kick is exhausting and dispiriting. It also smacks of narcissism. By simplifying, you make a concrete endpoint. You know that it is achievable, and this is very motivating. This is the end of self-improvement. Less is more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment