Tuesday, November 17, 2009

PRICKS-Lance Armstrong


I have my heroes. These are people I admire for certain qualities and achievements. Then, there are my villains. These are people I despise for various reasons. But there are people who fall into a middle category. These are people who do things that are admirable and impressive, but they undercut these achievements by being total pricks. So, we have a new category for these folks--PRICKS.


Our first prick is Lance Armstrong. Lance is an amazing individual. He came down with testicular cancer and almost died. But he fought back and won. He also came back to professional cycling in a big way winning the Tour de France seven fucking times. He might even win an eigthth. Without a doubt, Lance is a badass.

Lance has also done a great deal for cancer survivors. He has raised awareness, money, and inspiration through his example and his advocacy and giving his own money to the cause. Lance would be a total hero on my list. But he fucks it all up by being a complete asshole.

Lance's big problem is that he looks like a doper. I don't know if he is or he isn't. He gets tested a lot. He's never tested positive officially. But he has had shady connections, and he is tops in a sport that is drenched in EPO. Lance might be clean as a whistle, but it would not surprise me if he turned out to be dirty.

Lance takes a very aggressive stance towards his doubters and critics. He has a mean streak in him. This meanness is Nietzschean in quality. The same determination he has shown in beating cancer and winning the Tour de France is also the fuel behind his viciousness. Lance carries grudges, and he repays his enemies.

This baseness demeans Lance. But is this mean streak justified? Do you have to be a dickhead to do the amazing things Lance does? Or is it possible to be a cancer survivor, a champion, and also, a classy guy? I think it is.

Paula Radcliffe is in a similar position as Lance. She is the world record holder in the marathon and competes clean in a sport that is also tainted by doping. She has also taken controversial stands against EPO as witnessed in this picture:


There isn't a mean bone in Radcliffe's body. She simply works hard and is humble. This lack of meanness on her part has made her beloved amongst her many fans. She shows that you don't have to be a bitch to be a world champion.

I must admit that at times I am a complete prick. I carry a certain degree of hostility in me these days. I'm less like Paula and more like Lance. I don't think being nice means being a doormat for other people. Radcliffe stands up for what she believes in. She is no pushover. But being mean is way easier than being magnanimous. I should probably enroll in Pricks Anonymous.

0 comments:

Post a Comment