Friday, November 20, 2009

DVD-Dexter



After finishing The Wire, I felt empty inside. My life had lost meaning. I needed another series to get involved with, but I couldn't find one. I wrote an email to my brother, and he told me to watch Dexter. My life has meaning again.

Dexter is about a serial killer named Dexter Morgan played by Michael C. Hall who kills predators like himself. Dexter lives by a code instilled by his adopted father Harry who was a cop who took Dexter in after finding him in a pool of his own mother's blood. The incident fucked Dexter up, but Harry steered these fucked up tendencies in a positive direction by telling Dexter to kill the scum of Miami. If it weren't for this, we would be horrified by Dexter's actions because he is a sick fucker. Our horror is counterbalanced by the fact that we believe Dexter's victims deserve their fate. Michael C. Hall pulls off a terrific acting job. He makes us feel sympathy and even root for a homicidal sociopath.

What makes the show so damn good is that Dexter maintains a normal front with a girlfriend and a sister and his job as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami PD. Time and time again, Dexter is put in situations where he could get caught, but he gets away with it. This is the essence of the program. We don't want Dexter to get caught. The show is never better than when Dexter strives to manage his time between his day job, his relationship with Rita, and his extracurricular activities.

So far, I have watched three seasons of this show on DVD, and it delivers. It is insanely addictive, and I highly recommend it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment