Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Workaholic

My name is Charlie, and I am a workaholic. I am not in recovery, and I hope to always suffer from this affliction.
 
Some of my coworkers have been getting on me for working so much. I don't actually put in as many hours as a lot of other people. I usually work about 60 hours a week. But they say it has to do with my attitude towards work than the actual amount that I work.
 
When I am working, I feel as if I have some control over my life. I feel like I am making some headway against the forces and circumstances arrayed against me. Work gives me confidence, cures my boredom, and alleviates my poverty. What's not to like?
 
Nothing has ever depressed me more than being unemployed. I hate it more than anything in the world. I suppose a diagnosis of cancer would be worse than not having a job but not by much. My work is my life.
 
I like to have fun outside of work, but I am not into hobbies. You won't see me on the golf course or collecting stamps. I like to goof off like the next guy, but I prefer to spend my time making money or working on some important project. Most of my leisure pursuits like watching sports are done while working on a writing project.
 
I'm also lazy in a lot of ways. I don't always clean out my car or take out the trash in a timely manner. Of course, that's usually because I am working so much that I don't have the time. But I can always do more than what I am doing.
 
Currently, I'm a bit frustrated in my life because I feel that I am not making enough progress in my projects or my work. The answer? Work harder.
 
Workaholism is not a vice. I refuse to believe that it is.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment