Sunday, August 13, 2006

Politics and Entertainment

Oliver Stone has recently made a movie called World Trade Center which is surprising a lot of people because it is apolitical. Stone has made such a career out of indulging his left wing bullshit and his crackpot conspiracy theories that people are rediscovering that the man is actually a pretty good filmmaker. But I've heard a few people lament that Stone has "sold out." Give me a break.
 
There's a fine line between entertainment and politics. I don't think politics should be verboten in the context of entertainment, but it needs to be done better. Clearly, Oliver Stone has been a fuck up in this regard.
 
Another example of this shit is the Dixie Chicks fiasco which they are still paying for. Then, there is Bono who I simply can't stand. Bono takes every show and turns it into a political soapbox. It is nauseating to behold. Maybe I would feel differently if he was a libertarian.
 
I'm not saying that rock stars can't be involved in politics or have political opinions. But fans pay money to be entertained and not preached at. Turning a show into a political rally is a bit disingenuous. Plus, it ruins things for the people who don't share your opinions. I love U2's music, and I think they are the best rock band in the world. I just want Bono to shut the fuck up and sing. When he starts whining about third world governments and their debts, I want to barf and ask for a refund. Suck a dick, Bono. Put your mouth to better use.
 
My advice to those in entertainment is simple. Do that shit on your own time and your own dime. If you deal with politics in the lyrics of a song or within a story, make it part of the story or song and not just propaganda or preaching. For instance, I love Stone's Wall Street. I don't agree with Stone's conclusions about those in business, but it is thought provoking.
 
At some point, you're going to lose some folks. You can't please everyone. But entertainers know who their cores are, and those are the people who you owe a good show to. In regard to the Dixie Chicks, those Chicks should have known better. I wasn't offended by the remark that put them into oblivion much like I was not offended when Sinead O'Connor shredded a picture of the pope on SNL all those years ago. But both were kinda dumb.
 
Keep your work and your politics separate.
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment