Monday, January 28, 2013

3rd Uddevalla Open Long Cycle Competition

Saturday 26th I was at the Uddevalla Kettelebell Club's yearly Long Cycle Open competition. It is the third year in a row. Each time it has also been lifters from abroad participating.

This year there were two Finnish lifters (Sanna and Mari Erika), and two from Ukraine (Kira and Olena). All in all we were +20 lifters. A little more men than ladies. 

Olena Semenova and Kira Savchenko gave a workshop the next day focusing kettlebell sport for women lifters.

There were a lot of good stuff. As always arrangements by the Uddevalla crew were great. It was nice to see some familiar faces from the Halmstad workshop at Eleiko.

Markus H competed with 20kg bells for the first time and got 53 reps. Several lifter from Trollhättan made good presentations. A team from Military Fitness in Göteborg came to watch and brought one extremely strong ladies lifter with great talent.

There were no lifters from eastern, or northern, Sweden. I guess it is because there has recently been competitions in those areas as well. It is cool that we were +20 lifters nevertheless. No doubt, the sport is getting bigger.

Women Long cycle with two bells
One thing that was important about this competition, was that women could compete with two bells in long cycle.
I believe it is the first time in Sweden. None of the women lifters with two bells were Swedish, though. I think it is a great development if the two bells option gets established as a competition lift for women. Two bells make training a lot more fun and you don't have to do like 14 reps per minute (which can make technique suffer). Some, like Kira, also hold that two bells are more healthy for the back.

Sofia, Mari & Kira

Mari & Olena
Relay
The day finished with relay race. We had two ladies teams and two men's teams. It was fun and exiting. In the men's relay Trollhättan won over the Uddevalla-Göteborg team. First time ever I did relay (three lifters each team, each lifter lift for three minutes).

My contribution
I did 51 reps at the competition. Just one more rep than my co-competitor from Trollhättan. I don't know why I could not reach my goal of 56 reps. I did 59 one week before at home. Bells were good, the chalk as well. I had slept well during the night. Eaten well, no injuries, no infections, and I felt good about lifting.
I forgot to film the set, but I even felt good about technique. Still, no 56 reps. Well, this will only make me feel more happy when I get the 56 reps next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment