Sunday, October 5, 2008

Retirement Sucks



I don't believe in retirement. Retirement sucks. Retirement is the warmup for death.

Brett Favre could not do it. He could not stop playing. Lance Armstrong made a similar decision. After three years, he wants another TDF title. I do not blame these men for wanting to be back in it.

Thanks to Social Security, a lot of people consider retirement to be the pinnacle of existence. They believe that we should all labor to be free from working. I think this is sad.

Eventually, both Favre and Armstrong will have to hang it up. This is inevitable. We get older. We lose a step. It is one thing to retire from an activity. It is another thing to retire to inactivity. I hope both of them go on to bigger and better things.

I believe you should do the things you love for as long as you possibly can. I believe it is better to burn out than to rust out. I will probably be dead before 50, but I intend to work until the day I die whenever that will be. There is no happiness in idleness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment