Saturday, April 29, 2006

Mixed Bag

I have been working my ass off this week, and I haven't been able to bloviate on any of the week's happenings. So, here is a grab bag of bullshit.
 
1. President Bush injected a bit of common sense into the immigration debate by pointing out that deporting 11 million people is unrealistic. The bottom line is that they are here to stay and more will be coming. This is a good thing. America should be an open country where people are free to come, work, live their lives, or what have you. I applaud the President for being right on this. But don't worry, I'll be criticizing that fuckhead before this article is done.
 
2. President Bush is a fuckhead for calling for measures to go after price gougers on oil and spouting off a bunch of liberal claptrap about "oil addiction." Reagan is spinning in his grave.
 
I expect to differ with Republicans on social issues but not on economic issues esp. when it comes to energy. Bush has sold out. And why? To deflect criticism from Operation Clusterfuck over there in Iraq. There's your reason for high gas prices. Yet, the President has negated a potentially damaging argument against the war by turning his guns on our own addiction to oil. It was a shrewd political maneuver which the Left can't really overcome since it is their argument.
 
Expect more of these shenanigans as the election comes near.
 
3. I had a co-worker say he will join the counter-protest this Monday as Mexcians take to the streets to protest proposals meant to deport them or keep others from coming here. I could have taken him seriously to task for being such a shithead on this issue, but I have decided to follow what I call the Time and Place Rule.
 
Like it or not, politics and religion are sensitive topics. Ironically, they are the chief ones in which I am involved. OTOH, I don't want all my conversations with either friends or coworkers to end up being a debate about tyranny or the fossil record. I like to debate, but I also like to talk about the weather, tell dirty jokes, and flirt with the chicks. It's hard to do all this while pontificating on all my issues at the risk of being boorish. So, I relegate my speechmaking to my blog here, letters to the editor, and whatever public speaking opportunities may present themselves.
 
The Time and Place Rule means I have to listen to a lot of stupid shit and keep my mouth closed. Believe me, the things I hear people say are just utterly moronic. Just the other day, the new guy at work says he couldn't understand why they didn't raise the cigarette tax here in SC. He said it was a "no-brainer." It's hard for me to let such sweet fat pitches glide across the plate without swinging at them. But that's what I do because it is neither the TIME or the PLACE.
 
4. The Celebrate Freedom Festival folks have elected to move their shindig to another location other than Camden. I am neither pleased nor displeased with this. I like airplanes and want to fly them if I ever get the time and money. But I did side with some local residents over the noise debate which is essentially a property rights issue. The organizers didn't mention it, but I think that debate played a major part in their decision to pull up stakes.
 
5. There has been some debate over whether or not a botched lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment making it unconstitutional. Now, I'm not fond of the death penalty, but it isn't because I am sympathetic to murderers who I think should have their balls cut off before being lethally injected. My opposition to the death penalty comes from the fact that innocent people have been acquitted while doing time on death row. The death penalty is just in principle but often unjust in practice. With that said, these death penalty opponents make a stupid argument. C-mon folks, do you really care if some rapist murder child molester scumbag might be conscious enough to feel his heart give out while on the gurney? I know I don't.
 
The fact is that many murderers meet a fate that is kinder than the ones they perpetrated upon their victims. I remember one case from almost two decades ago where some sicko killed a lady by forcing Drano down her throat. I'd rather be shot or hung by the neck than forced to drink Drano. So, do I care if murderers suffer? No. But with that said, I'd rather see that guy languish in prison than see an innocent man executed while the real killer goes free.
 
6. The State called for laws and regulations to curb what I call "white trash finance." These are those payday advance places, title loan outlets, and finance companies that basically exploit ignorant working people's fundamental stupidity in all things monetary. And naturally, I oppose any such proposals. The editors at The State are some really stupid fuckers, and I will take some time this weekend on sending them some education on this matter.
 
7. The NFL should consider abolishing the draft and let college players elect to play for who they want to play for. Besides, it is all a crapshoot.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment