Friday, April 21, 2006

Geese and Golden Eggs

Once upon a time, there was a farmer and his wife who happened upon a goose who would lay a golden egg each day. This egg was enough to satisfy the needs of the farmer and his wife for that day. The goose would lay an egg each day for the farmer and his wife, and the couple was very happy because this wonderful bird provided for them each and every day.
 
But as with all good stories, you know the farmer and his wife wasn't happy with this arrangement. They became greedy and wanted more. So, they tried to get the goose to lay an extra egg each day. First, they tried feeding it. This did not work. Then, they tried starving it and abusing it. But it was all to no avail. The goose kept on laying that one egg per day. In frustration, the farmer and his wife took a butcher knife to the goose and sliced it open in an attempt to get all the golden eggs at one time. But there were no eggs inside just goose guts. Their good fortune now ended, the farmer and his wife returned to their life of toil.
 
What is the moral of this story? That should be pretty fucking simple. If you are lucky enough to get such a goose, don't cut the fucker open. Be content with what it gives.
 
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people do the same stupidity as the farmer and his wife. For instance, every single one of the managers I have known in all my jobs insisted on taking their stellar performers and working them into the ground, mistreating them, or what have you. Then they act surprised when those good people elect to leave and why all the rest of their remainining workers are shitbags. Sad to say, good performance is more often punished than rewarded.
 
I don't know why things are this way or why this phenomenon is so universal. And yes, I have been the unfortunate goose more times than I count. I haven't had a boss yet who did not get greedy and try to take more than I could ever give. I think I give value for the dollar, and I never promise to deliver what I am unable to do. But inevitably, gratitude leads to greed which leads to ingratitude and ultimately, betrayal. A good employee is more likely to be fired than a bad employee especially if the manager likes to personalize the situation as many do.
 
I honestly don't have a solution for this problem. I don't want to be a shitbag employee, but I also don't want to be cut open for the sake of shit I simply can't deliver on. Why can't my golden egg be enough especially when that is all I have?
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment