Tuesday, August 28, 2012

[SOC]

I have to make myself write these days. My brain is very much on fire as I essentially do a crash course on Catholicism and Burkean conservatism. As such, I feel like I am remodeling a McDonald's while trying to keep coffee and Big Macs while the construction is going on. Since I write from what I know, it is difficult to write as I learn as I am writing from ignorance instead of knowledge. This is why I have no trouble writing these SOC posts because they are "stream of consciousness" which means that I put on the screen whatever comes into my head. This is in contrast to my essays where I write something planned in support of a thesis.

I am also retooling the C-blog a bit. I refuse to edit posts from the past or delete them, so you will find things on my blog from the past that contradict my present view on things. This is nothing new as I have grown over the years in new directions, so those old posts serve as a chronicle of my intellectual journey. My values are changing as I go in this direction I call the moral revolution. For instance, Hugh Hefner and Christopher Hitchens would no longer make my heroes list. I also don't consider myself a secular individualist anymore.

I also don't know if I want to continue my Charles Noir persona anymore for fiction writing or even keep writing the Buzzard County stuff. As a fiction writer, I never found my voice. All of that stuff was written from an essentially nihilistic and cynical worldview that I simply don't have anymore. Plus, that writing frankly sucks. My admiration now is for a guy like J.R.R. Tolkien who wrote from a very Catholic viewpoint. Somehow, if I want to continue as a fiction writer, it needs to be something worthwhile. One of my blog commenters said I needed to stop writing crap, and I agree.

The only purpose of this blog over the years has been to simply give myself an outlet to express my thoughts and feelings on things. A subject blog is wedded to a subject, and they invariably get abandoned when that person changes his or her mind about things. For instance, a vegan can't keep doing a vegan blog if he or she suddenly goes paleo. But I can do that without a hiccup since my blog is about me and not necessarily a topic. As such, my blog has never been a minimalist blog, an atheist blog, a libertarian blog, or an art blog though those subjects have certainly been featured here many times.

I think I am also going to alter my editorial schedule on things. Certain recurring features are going away. For instance, the Unknown Blogger and I have parted ways, so the U-man will take his conspiracy theorizing someplace else. I've enjoyed writing True Shit posts, but I think I am going to let that slide along with Heroes, Villains, and Pricks. I think I want to write more essay stuff instead of having all of the recurring things all of the time. I don't know. I just know that I am in a state of flux, and I have to get settled into a new routine. I just know that my SOC posts will continue since they write themselves. They are the things I enjoy writing most.

Going to bed now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment