Sunday, December 27, 2009

Why You Should Eat at Chick-fil-a

Why Atheists Shouldn't Eat at Chick-Fil-A
http://www.atheistrev.com/2009/12/why-atheists-shouldn-eat-at-chick-fil.html#idc-container

This is a stupid article. Chick-fil-a was founded by Truett Cathy who is a well known Biblethumper. So, what? They have some good food and the finest service I have ever received at a fast food restaurant. My only criticism of the chain is that it is damn aggravating when I want a chicken sandwich on a Sunday, and they are closed.

Boycotting products and services is a leftard tactic and a stupid one. I am reminded of leftards boycotting Whole Foods over the John Mackey editorial in the WSJ on free market alternatives to healthcare. Why not boycott all capitalist enterprises? I would love to watch leftards starve to death or have to turn to growing their own food. The reality is that these flurries of stupidity last a short time, and then they go back to the same consuming behavior. The most notorious example would be the anti-fur people who went back to wearing fur.

I make it a point to not let my politics interfere with my consumption of goods and services and this includes government goods and services. I still use the postal service to mail a letter even though I would like to see the USPS privatized and an end to their monopoly on first class mail. I still drive on public roads. I could be principled on this, but I would only be hurting myself.

The problem with boycotting any company's goods and services is that there really is no end to it. Why not ask if the local merchant is politically correct? It would probably surprise leftards to learn that most local merchants watch Fox News, listen to Rush Limbaugh, and attend church. If we take this fool's opinions to heart, we'd have to just cease all buying and selling because somewhere along the line we would have to do business with people who disagreed with us on other issues.

The beauty of the free market is that it promotes civility and peace because we have to leave our prejudices, opinions, and whatnot at the door for the sake of commerce. This is a good thing. I know of racist businessmen who still do business with blacks and Jews because they have to. They may not like it, but they manage to get over their prejudice because they need something or want to make a dollar.

Chick-fil-a is an outstanding place to eat, and if Christianity is the reason behind this, so be it. I just know they have good food and good service. I'm not going to let my atheism get in the way of me enjoying these fine sandwiches. Plus, those waffle fries are the shit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment