Saturday, March 10, 2007

Reader Mail

I accumulate reader e-letters in my inbox, and I thought it would be a shame to let that writing go to waste. OTOH, I don't want to embarrass anyone either. With that said, I'm going to post these letters without identities in a regular feature called Reader Mail.

I've gotten a lot of flak from ultrarunners this week for my review of Running on the Sun. Enjoy.

* * *

Sir, I read your rant concerning ultramarathoners. . .

. . .I'm sorry that we don’t live up to your standards as athletes, but rest assured that Scott Jurek’s 24 hour finish at Badwaters, a 135 mile race (a 10 minute, 40 second pace or the equivalent of 5 back-to-back marathons at a 4 hour 35 minute pace) is one heck of an accomplishment in anybody’s book.


* * *

First let me say that I am glad you picked up the film "Running On The Sun." I myself own the film, but unfortunately.. disagree with you. I highly recommend it to anyone. Other films include "A Race for The Soul" and "The Runner."

I do take into question your blog where you argue that Ultra-running is not a sport. You compare it to mountain climbing.. which I will agree with you that in many cases it is. However, the goal of any ultra is to not JUST finish the race, but in many cases to do so in under the alloted time. Usually this time is 24 hours. In order to finish a 100 mile race in under 24 hours, one must travel at an average of 4MPH... which to many athletes is faster than a walk and indeed Running.

You also have to understand that Ultra's aren't JUST 100 miles and 135 miles. There are 50K, 50 mile and 100Km races. You mean to tell me that somebody who runs 50 miles in under 10 Hours at an average pace of MORE than 5MPH is not competing in a sport? You are right... there is a VAST difference between Marathoners and Ultramarathoners. Marathoners run as fast as they can to finish 26.2 Miles.... and they trash themselves in the process. Ultramarathoners set out to cover a LONGER distance... as fast as they can... and also trash themselves while doing so. Sir... you are FAR from correct when comparing the two disciplines.

Now I also am a mountain climber... and its a hobby... and a SPORT. I golf... Many consider golf simply a "game." But... it's a sport. Ultra Running takes a LOT more to compete in than a game of golf.... so is golf now not a sport as well?

Get your head out of your ass you loser... I DARE you to run 50 miles just ONCE.


* * *

You should go to Badwater in July and have yourself babied for several hours. Then you might know whereof you speak.

* * *

Keep those e-letters coming. You can write to me at charlesbricebroadway at yahoo.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment