Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Televised Sporting Events

I may have told this story before so stop me if you have heard it.

Once upon a time, I went with some friends on a stay in the mountains. I met this guy who was a friend of a friend, so I started up a conversation with him. I asked him what he liked to do, and he said, "I like sports."

"That's cool. What do you think the Cowboys will do this season?"

"I think you have misunderstood me," he said.

He went on to say that he played sports. He didn't waste his time watching them. The next day he was out on a morning bike ride and was back before the rest of us had even gotten up. I got the distinct feeling that I was wasting my life.

I think about the incident a lot when I am watching a ball game or a race. Instead of watching other people doing shit, I could be out there getting some exercise and losing the gut. But the feeling goes away by the end of the commercial.

Lately, that feeling has not been going away. Maybe this is because they don't play football in the summer, and NASCAR hasn't had any big time drama with Kyle Busch lately. But I do feel like I am wasting my life and need to cut back in some areas. Watching televised sporting events is at the top of the list.

The reality is that big time sports are a fucking waste of life. Unlike watching a movie, you can't find heroes in sports. This is because they are either cheating, using roids, fighting dogs on the side, whining about their contracts, or just being asses. The only decent athlete out there is Tiger Woods, but golf is boring.

I have been intending to drop the sports habit for years now, and I am going to follow through on it. I need to get active and do something with the rest of my life instead of watching shit on the tube as those guys do something with their lives. I think it is as simple as choosing to be a participant instead of just a spectator. So, I'm done watching NASCAR, football, and the occasional UFC slugfest. The time to change is now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment