Monday, January 22, 2007

Redneck

There is a saying that goes like this. If you try to please everybody, nobody will like it. I know how true that is.

I am a white boy from the South. I speak with a drawl. I like NASCAR, country music, pork rinds, and grits. This automatically means I am some kind of inbred hick racist Klan motherfucker. No matter what I do I am pigeonholed with this stereotype. I have tried most of my life to try and overcome the prejudice against me. But I have come to one inescapable conclusion. FUCK IT.

I don't care how I am perceived anymore. If people want to believe certain things about me, there's not much I can do about it. I just know one thing. I'm not spending the rest of my life going around apologizing for being who I am.

My boss has Charlie Daniels' "Simple Man" as the ringtone that identifies me as the caller. I should take that as a sign of something. I am college educated. I read books. I listen to NPR. I am articulate and write well. But no matter what, I will always be a redneck. There's no point in fighting it.

I refuse to be ashamed of who I am. I'm not a racist, but I get called one anyway. All I can say is sorry 'bout it. That's their ignorance not mine.

I'm back with my confederate flag, and I hope it pisses off a lot of people. I'm past the point of giving a fuck. If you don't like it, you can kiss my rebel dick.

0 comments:

Post a Comment