Thursday, February 2, 2006

All Tyranny is Local

Tip O'Neill famously quipped that all politics was local. I would paraphrase that by saying that all tyranny is local. Here are a few examples.
 
-Columbia Mayor Bob Coble said that he'd like to install surveillance cameras on the streets of Columbia to keep an eye on people. I read this at TheState.com this morning.
 
-Kershaw County Councilman had a long op-ed in the C-I defending the council's control of sewer projects in the county from nefarious capitalists like Palmetto Utilities. Here's a juicy quote:
 
Owners and presidents of private sewer providers don't have to listen to an angry tapholder. They are not held accountable to the same standards as elected officials are.
 
The mind boggles. Since when did government become more responsive to the needs of consumers than private enterprise?
 
I'll have my work cut out for me this weekend. Lot of letter writing to do.
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment