Monday, January 30, 2006

Andre Smith - Guest Blogger

Good morning all,

My name is Andre Smith. I am an assistant professor of law at Florida International University, in Miami, Florida. I teach Federal Income Tax, Estate and Gift Tax, Administrative Law, and Sports and Entertainment Law. I do not teach Critical Race Theory or Employment Discrimination, but I do have strong opinions on the subject of race and sports, and I will share them with you.

Also, I am a fan of economics; not necessarily the conclusions economists make, especially those made by law and economic types. I am in love with the method and the presuppositions that equality (or equilibrium) is brought about by perfect competition, utilitiy maximization, perfect information, and no transaction costs. Looking at sports and race and race and sports in this context drives me towards many of my opinions.

Aside from that stuff, I am also an avid fantasy sports player and am certainly in defense of the industry in its battle against Major League Baseball's attempt to monopolize the industry via proprietary control over newsworthy information. Disclosure: I am affiliated with a website, www.hiphopsports.net, that is heavily involved in the fantasy sports arena.

I'm not a fan of monopolies. I believe the problems created by monopolies are the hardest for the common person to perceive. These "misperceptions" drive wedges between people who actually have common interests, and absolve those who profit from the problem in the first place.

Oh, and I am hiphop. So bear with me if my language, a mixture of English, American, Patois, Ebonics, and HipHop, confuses you at times. I'll try to be clear.

Those are the generalities. I'll be back with a real opinion or blurb or something in a moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment