Monday, January 9, 2006

A New Year

This is my first post of the New Year, and there's not much to report except that everyone on my new job is a whiner. In addition, none of them seems to give a damn about the other guy. Of course, this has been true everyplace I have worked. People think only of themselves.
 
I've always admired Dennis Rodman both as an athlete and as an individualist. One of the unique things he did was to be a loner on the team. He pretty much stuck to himself. He was a selfless player letting others do the scoring while he did the blue collar work of defending, rebounding, and scrambling for loose balls. He was also an animal when it came to his fitness. But overall, he remained separate from his teammates. They didn't like him, and he didn't give a damn.
 
That's how I am on my present job. I try to bust my ass and be as blue collar as possible. I'm doing all the shit nobody else wants to do. But I'm also learning to stick to myself. These people aren't my friends, so there's no use pretending they are. I'm a teamplayer, but these people aren't. I will make my contribution just like Rodman did, but I'm going to be myself and be by myself. I'll save the socializing for my private life which is way more interesting.
 
As for my social life, I don't have one, but I think I'd like to change that. I need to get out more and have some fun. I might even do some drinking. I wish I still had my friend Scott Pallotta to hang out with. That guy was a lot of fun to have at a bar or wherever. Great drinking buddy. But I'm also torn by my desire to keep my life on the level. I don't really know if I am someone who likes to party or be a teetotaller. You can't have it both ways, that's for sure.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment