Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Issues with Time

I never seem to have all the time I need to do the things I want to do and need to do. It is getting on my fucking nerves. My reach continually exceeds my grasp.

I'm tired of living like this. I often wonder if I have too many projects going on until I realize that I am making no progress on anything outside of my job. I wake up each day to do things, and I get less and less done each day. It drives me insane.

I've been taking my Labor Day Weekend and using it to try and recharge my batteries and find new ways for managing my life. I'm not sure what the answer is to my problems, but I do know that I am not pleased with how little I am accomplishing.

Looking at the life of Leonardo da Vinci, there are certain chronic problems that he had. The first was that he had a hard time finishing things. The second was that he was always filling those notebooks but doing nothing in terms of execution. He was brilliant but ineffective. There is a lesson to be learned there.

The Achilles' Heel of the Reniassance Man is that he is often unable to complete a project because other projects crowd it out. It is also the problem of the multitasker. It is simply a lack of focus. This is where Aristotle's mean comes into play. Pick too few tasks, and you end up with boredom and time to fill. Pick too many, and you get nothing done.

I am trying desperately to find the midpoint between minimalism and maximalism. I'm hoping I will have the answer this weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment