Thursday, June 1, 2006

Should Pro Teams Have Religious Identities?

Spurred by a story on ESPN radio based on this USA Today piece about the Colorado Rockies' efforts to promote Christian values among team mebmers, there is an interesting conversation developing about the business and legal aspects of religious affiliations for pro teams at Prawfsblawg. According to USA Today, "On the field, the Rockies are trying to make the playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons and only the second time in their 14-year history. Behind the scenes, they quietly have become an organization guided by Christianity — open to other religious beliefs but embracing a Christian-based code of conduct they believe will bring them focus and success."

Former Rockie (now Giant) Mark Sweeney: "...I've never been in a clubhouse where Christianity is the main purpose. You wonder if some people are going along with it just to keep their jobs. Look, I pray every day. I have faith. It's always been part of my life. But I don't want something forced on me. Do they really have to check to see whether I have a Playboy in my locker?"

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin, who thinks the Rockies' move is "refreshing", reports that some players have been backing away from the USA Today story.

UPDATE #2: On a related topic, see this story from Friday's New York Times, which reports on a development my colleague Howard Friedman covered a month ago (minor league football teams' efforts to target fans of particular religious traditions through "Faith Night" promotions).

0 comments:

Post a Comment