Sunday, November 11, 2007

Will and Creation

I find joy in cleaning things. I am not a neatfreak by any stretch of the imagination. But I love to bring order to a space. Cleaning is creation. It is imposing one's will on the chaos and bringing out order.

All creation is an act and imposition of will. It is what Nietzsche called "the will to power." It is not a tyrannical impulse. It is simply the expression of what one values and desires projected into the the world. It is this will that turns stones into sculpture, paint into portraits, and steel into structures and machines.

I understand these things which is why I love to work and write and do things. I get a rush that I can only describe with the one word that fits--happiness.

You can see this impulse in various projects. I can't look at a building or a bridge without seeing the will behind the project. I look at athletes and runners who will their bodies to do the seemingly impossible. They call it "being in the zone."

This is the essence of happiness. It is the freedom and the ability to create. It is better than any drug you can take. It is the highest high there is. It beats intoxication or love.

I aspire to live in this zone. I just want to create. I want to make things happen. I want to feel the rush that comes from manifesting my will in the world. I wake up everyday glad to be alive. My days are a blur.

My biggest problem in my life is picking a direction to go in. There are so many things to do that I don't know which to do first. So, I need to decide which projects to work on and which ones to postpone. I have many options but little time. But so far, I am pleased with where things are in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment