Thursday, April 7, 2005

Baseball and the Silver Screen

There are few things better than baseball movies. America's Pastime and the Silver Screen are two of my favorite things, so it is only natural that the marriage of the two makes me quite happy. Prof. Rick Duncan at Red State Lawblog agrees and discusses some of his favorite baseball movies.

For me, it does not get any better than Field of Dreams:

    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But, baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again.
The end of this movie, where Ray asks his father if they can play catch, is one of the few times I have teared up during a movie. There is just some connection between baseball and fathers and sons that few other pastimes can emulate. I have a good friend that watches Field of Dreams every year at the start of the baseball season. I usually try to come up with my own traditions, but that is one that I took pride in mimicking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment