Sunday, March 20, 2005

Senator McCain: Major League Baseball "Can't Be Trusted" & Mark McGwire Needs a New Lawyer

Earlier today, on ABC's "This Week", Senator John McCain (R-AZ) had some harsh words for both MLB and Mark McGwire's attorney:

"It just seems to me they can't be trusted . . . [W]hat this highlighted was the absolute insensitivity of both the owners and the players to the American people . . . What do we need to do? It seems to me that we ought to seriously consider a law that says all professional sports have a minimum level of performance-enhancing drug testing."

"The first thing Mark McGwire should do is get himself a new lawyer. I was saddened by what he had to say, and it's unfortunate, because he's one of America's heroes."

I believe Senator McCain is correct (disclaimer: I was a volunteer on his presidential campaign back in 2000, but that has nothing to do with my opinion on this issue), in identifying the underlying flaw in allowing MLB and the MLBPA to collectively-bargain effective testing policies: they probably won't do it. And no matter how you look at this issue, it's really difficult to get beyond that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment